Sempervivum has several commonly known names like "houseleek plant", "live forever plant" or "hen and chicks". This flowering plant with star-shaped pink, red or pale-yellow flowers is a member of Crassulaceae family. These are intricate ground-cover plants that create a dense layer of green rosettes. Like most succulents, sempervivum is able to store water in the thick leaves and that allows it to withstand long drought periods and exposure to direct sunlight. It is a very hardy plant, perfect choice for beginners as it will forgive the neglect. As with most succulents, overwatering is about the only thing that can abrupt its existence.
- Will feel comfortable in the brightest possible spot, can withstand a full exposure to direct sunlight.
- Needs good drainage. Water only when the soil is dry. Prefers regular watering during the period of active growth. Don't let water get into the rosettes. Using a Sustee Moisture Meter stick helps to figure out how much moisture is in the soil so you don’t under or overwater.
- Can withstand colder temperatures than other succulents. Although heat-tolerant, in summer will feel comfortable in temperatures between 18 - 24 ºC.
- If the plant grants you with flowers, then after the flower fades, the rosette that flowered will also fade away. You can remove it from the pot and the plant will soon fill the spot with new offsets.
- Repot in spring if necessary. Prefers well-draining, sandy soil. To repot this plant, you will need around 2 packs of For My Plants potting mix for the most loved houseplants.
- This plant is non-toxic to humans or pets.
Height of the plant - 15 cm. Diameter of the pot - 12 cm. Sustee size S.
Height of the plant is measured from the base of the pot to the top of the plant.
Diameter of the pot is measured at the top part of it.