Native to Southern Africa, this tropical, upright, palm-like plant is fast growing. Its size, leaf shape and flowers which resemble a bird of paradise will make it become a statement piece in your home for a tropical feel. The leaves will split naturally as the plant matures. This is to allow light to reach the lower parts of the plant. Rotate the plant occasionally to encourage even growth.
- Bright indirect light. Put the plant somewhere it will get as much light as possible. Strelitzia nicolai is not made for shade.
- Prefers soil to be moist, particularly in the warm months. Water the plant whenever top 4-5 cm of soil are dry. During the colder months, allow the soil to dry out a little more. Do not allow to stand in water. Using a Sustee Moisture Meter stick helps to figure out how much moisture is in the soil so you don’t under or overwater.
- Really enjoys moist environment, so you can mist it regularly but the plant will cope with normal household conditions.
- Prefers warm temperatures from 21-28 °C but can briefly cope with as low as 13 °C.
- Apply a balanced fertiliser every few weeks during the growing season.
- Toxic when ingested.
Height of the plant - 55 cm. Diameter of the pot - 17 cm. Sustee size M.
The height of the plant is measured from the base of the pot to the top of the plant.
The diameter of the pot is measured at the top part of the pot.