This plant is famous for its round palm-like leaves and flowers that look like tropical birds, therefore, the nickname - ‘Bird of Paradise’ plant. Native to Africa, strelitzia can grow up to 1.3 metres tall and spread up to two to three metres wide when aged.
Strelitzia Reginae is a large and gorgeous foliage plant that will look as majestic indoors in a pot, as it does outside in the garden.
This plant needs a little bit of extra care if you want the flowers to bloom. They usually appear between April and November, but may not appear until the plant is 4 to 5 years old.
PLANT CARE :
- Keep the plant in a sunny, brightly-lit spot
- Water when the surface of the soil feels dry
- Be careful not to over-water, and reduce watering during the cooler months.
- When soil is completely dry, water enough to saturate the soil then not again until completely dried out.
- Use a high-quality potting mix to fill your pot and choose a pot at least 40cm wide pot with holes for drainage.
- Give the plant a feed once a fortnight during spring and summer, but don’t feed it during winter.
- Usually requires re-potting every 3 years.
- Toxic to pets.
Height of the plant - 220 cm. Diameter of the pot - 40 cm. Sustee size L.